The main objectives of the institute are specified as follows-
• To organise pre-induction, in-service training programmes and orientation courses for educational functionaries and community leaders at the State, regional, district and sub-district levels.
• To undertake research, evaluation and experimentation in planning and management at all levels of educational administration.
• To develop and manage a system of educational assessment.
• To provide professional and resource support in educational planning and management at all levels of administration.
• To provide professional and resource support in educational planning and management at all levels of administration. administration.
• To document and disseminate State, National, and International innovations and information in the areas of educational planning, management, and assessment.
• To establish network with Government and Non-Government organisations, Institutions and agencies within and out side the State for training, research, monitoring and evaluation in the areas of educational planning, management and assessment.
• To undertake, aid, promote and co-ordinate research activities including comparative studies in various planning techniques.
• To offer on request-Consultancy services to States other than the State U.P., Government of India and other Educational Institutions.
• To provide on request-facilities for training and research in Educational Planning and Administration to other States and Collaborate with them in such programmes.
• To manage Educational Information System.
• To build capacity of local government bodies and PRIs for decentralized educational planning.